The sudden change to telework and virtual learning has required many of us to make drastic, unplanned changes to our daily routines. The Autism Society team and our Panel of Professional Advisors put together Modifying Routines resources to help our families adapt successfully to these changes.
- Use social stories to explain changes to routines and/or social situations (usage of pictures, props, or symbols may be helpful)
- Allot extra time in your schedule to accommodate changes
- Use time tables, clocks and charts to explain what times schedule changes will occur
- Make small changes as an initial change, to avoid feeling overwhelmed
- Reward flexibility
- Create a calm down or decompression routine
- Supporting Individuals with Autism through Uncertain Times
Ongoing Medical Care
- Contact your healthcare provider if you have any concerns about receiving regularly scheduled medical care
- Call ahead before visiting a doctor’s office
If you have questions about the measures we are taking to ensure the safety of the people we serve, or for those needing support, visit our COVID-19 website page or please contact our National Helpline at 1(800)3-AUTISM, or via email at email@example.com.